Querying with GraphQL
- What is GraphQL
- Why GraphQL? As Gatsby runs on both server (at build time) & client, need way to specify which data is needed.
- Emphasize this is a build-time only use of GraphQL. You don’t need to run a GraphQL server in production. Convenient way to describe data requirements of component.
- Why query colocation rocks.
Some basic terminology
- Types based on file type + way data can be transformed
- Shallow intro to how data layer works e.g. parsers, typegens.
- Compare to Webpack loaders — like loaders except create schema that can then be queried.
- Example queries showing off sorting, filtering, picking fields, programmatic transformations
- Link to some doc pages on advanced usages of GraphQL.
- iFrame of graphiql instance for this site running on Heroku so people can run live queries.