Sourcing from Drupal
Using Drupal as a headless CMS with Gatsby is a great way to get an enterprise-quality CMS for free, paired with a great modern development experience and all the benefits of the JAMstack, like performance, scalability, and security.
It only takes a few steps to use Gatsby with Drupal as a headless CMS (also known as decoupled Drupal).
This guide assumes that you have a Gatsby project set up. If you need to set up a project, head to the Quick Start guide, then come back.
Hooking up Gatsby to a new or existing Drupal site takes only a few steps.
- Follow the
gatsby-source-drupalinstallation instructions to add the plugin to your Gatsby site
An example of how to include the
gatsby-source-drupal plugin in your
“Decoupled Drupal” has become an increasingly popular approach to building enterprise-grade websites, and has the full-throated support of Drupal community leaders. Using Gatsby in a decoupled Drupal setup allows your team to access the powerful content modeling and access workflow capabilities of Drupal 8, as well as the powerful UI creation & performance toolset of Gatsby.
Many development teams, content teams, and client decision-makers are familiar with Drupal. Here are some scenarios in which Drupal is a great choice (and a few scenarios for which it’s not-so-great):
- Complex page layouts or content modeling with multiple sections per page
- Teams with multi-stage content creation and review processes
- Development teams who value using popular, open-source technologies
- Content teams who require a slick content editing experience as it gets complex because of the multiple sections present
- Teams requiring the use of Drupal UI Kit as this is constantly under development and sometimes doesn’t work as expected
Using Gatsby together with Drupal offers a powerful, full-featured, open-source, and free alternative to expensive enterprise content management systems. To learn more:
- Read a Drupal agency’s introduction to Gatsby
- Watch Kyle Mathews’ presentation on Gatsby + Drupal
- Get started with Robert Ngo’s Decoupling Drupal with Gatsby tutorial and watch his Evolving Web 2018 Drupal conference presentation
- Example site that demonstrates how to build Gatsby sites that pull data from the Drupal CMS.
- Take a free course on building a Gatsby site with Drupal.
- Read Gatsby blog posts on Gatsby + Drupal.
Edit this page on GitHub