One of the most exciting things we’re working on at Gatsby right now is themes.
Gatsby themes allow you to focus only on the parts of the site and app building process that you need to care about by abstracting the rest away into a package.
What this means in practical terms is that you can use Gatsby themes to create a site with:
package.jsonwith 4 installed packages (
react-dom, and your theme)
gatsby-config.jswith metadata and a reference to your theme
- a folder full of Markdown files for content
And that’s it.
No code. No assembling plugins. Just writing content.
On the stream, we covered multiple topics:
- How to build a Gatsby theme from scratch
- How to create child themes
- How to use component shadowing
- How to install and use a Gatsby theme
The code we built is available on GitHub — use it as a starting point to build your own Gatsby themes today!
- Post: Introducing Gatsby Themes
- Post: Why Themes
gatsby-mdxgetting started docs
- John Otander on Twitter
- Jason Lengstorf on Twitter
If you’re interested in watching more livestreams, I go live every Thursday at 9am Pacific.
Follow me on Twitch to get notified when I go live.